Friday, June 20, 2008

Homeland Security


On my way back from the bike shop, I stopped at the rowing club to rest a bit and have some medicine and watch the sailboats and other watercraft. I noticed our Local Coast Guard boat heading up the channel. I counted the crew(6) and noted they were out at a nice time of day after lighting up I turned around and saw they were now towing another water craft. My first thought, "OK, They're arresting someone, or No they're helping a stranded craft get safely out of the navigation channel." BINGO. Only one hitch, the stranded craft was another Local Coast Guard Craft." Now were they training in rescue techniques or do our Local Coast Guard watercraft need a tune-up just in case the 4th largest port in North America has a problem?

I hope I am being naive and it was just rookies getting a handle on stringing out a tow line. And not a case of, as in Iraq, equipment that is substandard and failing in the everyday operations in smooth seas and moderate temperatures. I am being ever vigilant anyway until I know things are safely back in the hands of the other guys.

No comments: