Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Long Wait for Free Bus Tickets: No Thanks to Jimmy Carter!

When I was going to college you could get food stamps and not work. Where I went to school there were no jobs and it boosted the local economy. Now you have to be pregnant,and/or over 62, and /or disabled or in rehab (I mean IN there) or you have to sign a lien against future wages in order to get support. You also get fingerprinted and photographed. My how the times do change. I guess I am a wimp but if I redefine myself as humbled for reqesting assistance when I am not pregnant over 62(hey when are they gonna raise that?)Disabled or rehabbing my addiction obsession of the month, year decade or trend.
The Place
2000 San Pablo Avenue Oakland CA, (St. Paul that zealot) the place where you get help fill out the paper. After 38 pages of the application I was feeling a mixture of anger grief depression depair and helplessness and to myself I added, "maybe robbing a bank or selling some crack would be easier and a little less humiliating." The person next to me agreed the powers didn't want this process to be easy or everyone would line up for "free food stamps" like I had in the Carter years.
That damn Nobel Laureate James Earl "Jimmy" Carter. Thank Goddess Daddy Reagan got on board and fixed that shit and Uncle Bill ended welfare as we (no shit) knew it. It not a hand out, it's a loan and some collectors will be after your ass just like the pirates who sail the world searching for students near to default to chase the last few cents they own.
That's right the banks the corporations and the government are all in this to "help" the poor and the lazy to get back on their feet.
Welfare to work. Wouldn't it be easier to just hand out dollars like I do when I have it? No! Where would the social workers go? The three county sheriff deputies and the fingerprint guy?
Hey this ain't Italy O.K.? But Oaktown do have it share of govment job.
"We're not looking for a hand out, just a hand."
That's from the eighties. Am I stuck in the post Reagan recession or is it just my hairline?
My EC (eligibility counselor) was very nice she sorted through my pile of paperwork and pulled out all the pile I did by accident handing some back to me and some she filed into three stacks. I had filled out an application for medical coverage(medi-cal)which is one thing I am not in need of (besides a job and natural anti-depressants ie sex). As I sat and watched her work I sobbed, it was the second time while there I had trouble fighting back the tears, since rage was not an option with the sheriff(Johnny law) right around the corner. I said "Sorry, Mondays are never that great for me." She did a second take trying not to let on she was evaluating my worthiness to recieve a loan from the govment since I was not morally fit to recieve unemployment.
I was asked to sign several forms I did not want to read including my right to recieve all information in English. EC informed me this(GA) was not hand out but a real loan I must pay back or else(hard time on the "rock"). I was advised to recover my unemployment denial letter from EDD and a note from my landlord comfirming I lived there and had paid rent in the past. EC told me I was finished and to get the stuff to her before the first or call and get an extension.

I Return for a Second Day
The next day I had my second meeting. GA, general assistance, the cashola that used to be given out "free". Now it's just a loan paid back in labor or installments or garnished wages, garnished tax returns, garnished alimony or lotto winnings(not really the lotto is free money). Oh Jimmy Carter! Where are you now, Brother Jimmy?
I got to meet the SW (social Worker) who suggested I try something else for a job. I had flashbacks to the eighties again (the last time I applied for unemployment). "You are a teacher? You need to apply for teaching jobs. You can be a substitute teacher." Time for the strait waistcoat and maybe some valium? Stress comes in two varieties; future and past form. Both are forms of embracing powerlessness hopelessness at least in my frame of mind. A sane positive one might see empowerment and accomplishment. naught mine.
One more thing a fresh TB test(less than 12 months old) "Who pay? I have no means." she said. "We(the state) Do." they said.
I was done except for the free bus tickets to get to the clinic for the TB Test. No passes for job hunts just TB Test and a copy of the requisition just in case we blow it the first time and have to get a second TB Test. I was sent to the waiting room. The waiting room equippped with three seated county sheriff deputies behind a desk with a sign

"THIS IS NOT THE INFORMATION DESK."

I was told to wait for my name to be called. I waited and watched as a line of people one-by-one, got their names called, signed for their 4 AC transit tickets, 4 tranfers and walked out. I waited and no more names were called so I moved over near the window and the deputy looked at my saddle bags and told me I couldn't block his exit to the break room. They never called my name. About 5 minutes later I got my free tickets and walked out much relieved I had endured the ordeal of applying for GA and food stamps. Thanks USDA, U$Taxpayers, City of Oakland,
AC Transit, oh yeah and the Feds. No thanks to you, Jimmy Carter!

No comments: